Student Visas > Studying in New Zealand

  • Education System
  • Cost of Study
  • List of Universities & Colleges
  • FAQs
  • Visa
  • Financial Aid
    new zealand map

The Country:

New Zealand is a beautiful country situated to South Pacific Ocean, 1,600 km east of Australia. Made up of North and South Islands - and a number of smaller ones - totaling 271,000 Population is 3.8 million Approx. The people are friendly and welcoming towards visitors. They are relaxed and informal and like to call u by your first name. New Zealand is a trading nation. The North Island has geothermal springs, geysers and an active volcano.

Geography & Climate:

The climate is temperate, moderated by the oceans which surround it. It has one of the best climates in the world for plant growth. It has a reputation for being clean and green. It has one of the best sceneries and beautiful locations lakes flora and fauna. A good highway system makes the country easily accessible.


The official currency of New Zealand is dollar. The symbol is NZ $.


Students visitors who want to enjoy their stay feel safe, and be able to make progress in their education. They make friends easily Most places have information centers where people can easily get information about the institutions.

Major Cities:

The capital of new Zealand is Wellington. The major cities of New Zealand Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch, and Dunedin.


New Zealand shows a great cultural diversity. The arts , crafts, drama and music are flourishing. New Zealand is a beautiful and sparsely populated multicultural nation. Most New Zealanders are of British or European descent, with approximately 18% of the population having Maori or Pacific Island origins. There are also large numbers of other nationalities in New Zealand and recently, increasing numbers of people from Asian countries have taken up residence in New Zealand.


The best known sports are rugby and cricket, with netball, badminton, squash, skiing, tennis, basketball, athletics, soccer, and hockey are also very popular

Cost of Study

The tuition fee is different for different universities and varies with courses. For more specific details, please contact the universities.

Undergraduate Courses Tution Fees
Arts / Humanities / Social Sciences NZ $ 10,000 - $ 12,000 per year
Commerce / Administration / Management NZ $ 10,000 - $ 12,500 per year
Computing & Mathematical Sciences NZ $ 13,000 - $ 15,000 per year
Engineering NZ $ 16,000 - $ 17,500 per year
Science / Science Technology NZ $ 14,000 - $ 16,000 per year
Technology NZ $ 14,000 - $ 18,000 per year

Postgraduate Courses Tution Fees
Arts / Humanities / Social Sciences NZ $ 14,000 - $ 16,000 per year
Master of Business Administration (MBA) NZ $ 18,000 - $ 24,000 per year
Engineering NZ $ 18,000 - $ 24,500 per year


The New Zealand Official Development assistance (NZODA) offer NZODA Scholarships to Indians for pursuing postgraduate studies in the areas of relevance to New Zealand In addition, Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Awards are offered for pursuing advanced courses. To apply for these one has to get him/herself enrolled with any of the universities in New Zealand.

List of Universities and Colleges in Canada

  • Academic College Group(ACG)
  • Auckland Institute of Studies
  • Auckland University of Technology
  • Central Institute of Technology
  • Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology
  • Design & Arts College
  • Eastern Institute of Technology
  • Lincoln University
  • Manukau Institute of Technology
  • Massey University
  • Nelson Polytechnic
  • New Zealand Institute of Education
  • New Zealand School of Travel & Tourism (NZSTT)
  • Otago Polytechnic
  • Pacific International Hotel Management School
  • University College of Learning (UCOL)
  • University of Auckland
  • University of Otago
  • Victoria University of Wellington
  • Waikato Institute of Technology
  • Waikato University
  • Waiariki Institute of Technology
  • Wellington Institution
  • Western Institute of Technology
  • Whiteria Polytechnic

Q. What is financial aid?

A. Financial aid is a means by which students can reduce or eliminate the expenses that they will incur in the course of their education overseas.

Q. How much are the fees and what is the refund policy?

A. Fees are determined by the individual institution concerned. One year's fees (or the total fee for courses of less than one year) must be paid before a visa will be issued or a permit extended if a further course is to be undertaken for students studying at tertiary level. Fees must be paid in internationally acceptable, convertible currency. An institution may refund fees to a student who withdraws from a course. The refund must not exceed the difference between the total amount paid and the cost of the course up to the time of withdrawal. Private training establishments must provide every prospective student with a written statement of the total course costs and other financial commitments associated with each course of study or training before accepting that student's enrollment. Students enrolled for courses of study or training at a private training establishment may withdraw from the course at any time within seven days after the first day of the course and receive a partial free refund.

Q. What are the accommodation arrangements?

A. A written guarantee of accommodation is required before a student visa can be granted. Some institutions may be able to arrange residential accommodation for students who are not staying with relatives or friends. However, you may wish to arrange accommodation for yourself. You should indicate whether or not you want assistance in finding accommodation when you apply to the institution.

Q. Are dependents allow to come along?

A. Your dependents, who may include a spouse, de facto spouse, fiancé (e), and children, may a company you to New Zealand or join you later. They must apply for and meet the normal requirements for the type of visa requested (visitor, work, or student). School aged dependants will be required to pay full fees for enrollment in primary and secondary courses of study.

Q. Can I transfer to another institution?

A. If you wish to transfer to another course or institution, you must apply to the New Zealand Immigration Service to obtain a variation to your student permit, specifying the course and institution and, if appropriate, the extended validity of the permit. Note: The New Zealand Immigration Service will revoke a student permit if an international student withdraws from a course of study at an institution

Q. Is health insurance compulsory?

A. It is strongly recommended that all international students obtain medical insurance cover because most temporary students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. A condition of your student visa is that you must have an adequate allowance and this should include coverage of medical costs.

Q. Can I work while studying?

A. Some formal courses of study include a requirement to complete up to three years course-related work experience. The training provider will try to help you find suitable employment. There is some flexibility on how this employment may be obtained, example suitable post-education work or the possibility of doing the work experience in your home country (under qualified supervision). Students undertaking a full time diploma or degree course that takes at least two academic year to complete, and students undertaking a full time course of study that would attract points under the General Skills category of Residence policy, may be allowed to work up to 15 hours per week. To do this you must request a 'Variation of Conditions' to your study permit after beginning the course of study. No application form or fee is required for this Variation of Conditions. If your student permit is for more than 12 months you may apply for a Variation of Conditions to work over the Christmas New Year Holidays. No offer of employment is required. You will need to pay a Variation of Conditions fee. If you have completed a polytechnic or university qualification that has a minimum completion time of three years, you may apply for a work permit that allows you to work up to maximum of two years. An offer of employment relevant to your qualifications is required. Further information on student visa applications can be obtained from the New Zealand Immigration website

Canada Visa

All overseas students are required to obtain a Student Authorization and Visa before going to Canada for studies. Students must also meet the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and Regulations. Under normal circumstances, allow at least two months for your visa to be processed.

If you are not already in New Zealand and are applying to New Zealand to study, you must complete the requirements for the issue of a student visa. You will be given the required forms by the New Zealand Government office (the visa issuing officer) in your country. Requirements for a student visa will normally include :

  • A written offer of a place, which notifies you that you have been accepted by an educational institution in New Zealand to study there.
  • A receipt for payment of course fees (You are not required to produce the receipt before your application has been approved in principle) OR - Evidence that you are exempt from course fees. For e.g. A New Zealand Government Scholarship.
  • A complete and signed 'Application for Student Visa' form, with a passport-size photograph. You will be required to pay a non-refundable student visa application fee.
  • A guarantee of accommodation - a written assurance from an educational institution or other person that suitable residential accommodation is available to you in New Zealand.
  • Your passport or certificate of identity, which must be valid for the period of time for which you are applying to study.
  • Evidence that funds are available for your maintenance throughout your stay. One of the four is acceptable as evidence :
    • A completed 'Sponsoring a student' form, in which your sponsor gives a financial undertaking that he or she can transfer to New Zealand NZ $7,000 a year : this amount is considered minimum for a year's living expenses.
    • A letter from your educational institution confirming that your living expenses have already been paid for as part of your fees.
    • A bank document showing that funds of the required amount will be available to you in New Zealand ($1000 for each month of your stay for short term study, $7000 a year for long term study)
    • An award of a full New Zealand scholarship

For Further Information on Counseling and general information on studying in New Zealand and or for information about student visa, contact: Aryans International or write to us at

quick assessment